December 20, 2007
These are chewy, but with a bit of crispiness on the outside. Wonderful, deep brown, rich, share with others to be the most popular person at the office!
Prep: 25 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Irish Whiskey
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Irish Whiskey
- 1-1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 to 4 tablespoons brewed coffee
- Chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Heat granulated sugar, butter or margarine, and 1/2 cup cocoa powder in a large saucepan over medium heat until butter or margarine melts, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat lightly just until combined,
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl; set aside. Stir together milk and 1/4 cup whiskey; stir in coffee crystals. Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to the chocolate mixture, beating by hand after each addition. Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
3. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, for the Irish Coffee Glaze, stir together sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey, and 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla. Stir in 3 to 4 tablespoons brewed coffee until of drizzling consistency.
5. If desired, sprinkle with additional chopped nuts. Makes 36 brownies.